Graduate Admissions Timeline
- Dec. 1, 2019: The Department of Chemistry will begin evaluating applicants and offering positions in our program with tuition remission and assistantship support. Consideration for internal awards and fellowships begins at this time, so we encourage interested students to apply early.
- January 15, 2020: We will fully consider all Ph.D. applications received by this date. Applications received after this date will still be evaluated as space permits.
- March 13–14, 2020: Visitation Weekend for those offered admission
- April 15, 2020: Deadline for students to accept or decline offers of admission
You will need the following information for your application
- Identify Research Areas of Interest
Review Research Areas and Faculty Profiles here.
- Complete Academic Record
This includes a complete list of colleges attended, majors, and GPAs. The Graduate School at Virginia Tech rarely admits students with GPAs less than 3.0. Please note that they will calculate your GPA based on the most recent half of your undergraduate transcript (typically 60 credits). Exceptions can sometimes be made for students who have also earned significantly higher GPAs in graduate programs in the United States or Canada.
A scanned PDF copy of an official, college-issued transcript
A brief, one-page note describing any inconsistencies in your transcript (for example, a bad semester due to health issues) can be included with the scanned transcripts
- Three References
Names and email addresses of three (3) references who can provide strong letters of recommendation are required; the web-based application system will then ask those individuals to enter their recommendations online.
Professors in your current department or at other schools where you have done undergraduate research are highly preferred.
Email addresses of your references should be their professional email address.
- GRE Scores
Applicants are not required to submit scores for the General GRE or the Chemistry GRE exam. However, the application form offers the option to report these scores for prospective students who would like to include them.
- TOEFL Scores (required for international students only)
NOT required if you completed a degree in the United States
The Graduate School at Virginia Tech's minimum TOEFL score: 90 (iBT)
The Department of Chemistry's Expected scores:
Reading High Listening High Speaking Good Writing Good
- Personal Statement and Resume or CV
Required by the Graduate School of Virginia Tech
Online application requests either a "text only" CV or resume or a PDF of your CV or resume, and a PDF of your Personal Statement
The application for the Department of Chemistry Graduate Program is an online application. Please click here to access the form.
- Complete the online application form
U.S. applicants do not pay an application fee, but international students, including those located in the U.S., must pay an application fee of $75.
- Enter your GRE scores and academic record
Your academic record includes all colleges attended, majors, and GPAs. We will base our admission decision on these self-reported scores, but we can withdraw our offer if we find that the official scores differ significantly.
- Scan and upload your official transcripts
If you are offered and decide to accept admission to Virginia Tech, your institution will need to send sealed original transcripts to Virginia Tech.
- Arrange for ETS to submit your official test scores
Official GRE scores (and TOEFL scores, if applicable) should be sent to to Virginia Tech Graduate School, institution code 5859.
- Advise your references to expect an invitation to submit recommendation letters
While electronic references are strongly preferred, paper reference letters are also accepted.
Note to International Students: We may interview you by telephone, Skype, or another form of video chat to assess your English speaking and listening skills.
- You will receive an initial notification of recommendation for admission
The Department of Chemistry can only "recommend admission" to the Graduate School, which formally admits students. We are confident that the Graduate School will accept our recommendations for admission and will notify you immediately of our decision by email.
- Your official notification letter from the Graduate School, your official letter from the Department Chair, and your Assistantship Agreement will come next.
You will also receive the official letter from the Department Chair (different than the official admission letter from the Graduate School) along with the official, signed Assistantship Agreement. Your Assistantship Agreement will specify a 9-month GTA contract, but the Department of Chemistry guarantees continued support to all graduate students in Good Standing, including summers, either teaching or research assistantships, and full tuition remission for the academic year. This support continues for a maximum of 5 academic years and 4 summers in residence, as long as you are making satisfactory progress toward a doctoral degree. Please sign and return the official, signed Assistantship Agreement through the mail. International students may wish to use an expedited courier to ensure that the Agreement reaches us by April 15th.
- Make plans to attend Visitation Weekend
Admitted students who are in the United States will be invited to join us for an enjoyable weekend in Blacksburg to showcase our programs. We will pay all your local and travel expenses within reason, including necessary airfares. Upon receiving your invitation, contact Joli Huynh (firstname.lastname@example.org, 540-231-8225) to discuss details and arrange your travel.
- What if I can't make Visitation Weekend?
Admitted students within the United States who are unable to attend Visitation Weekend in March are invited to set up an individual visit by contacting Joli Huynh (email@example.com, 540-231-8225).
- The deadline to respond to the offer is April 15th
We would of course like to hear from you as soon as you have decided to attend Virginia Tech. However, after April 15th, you surrender your financial aid package, and your offer admission will be withdrawn.