Physical and Polymer Chemistry
Professor Moore's current research interests include: nanoscale characterization of ion-containing polymers; thermo-reversible gel; functionalization of semi-crystalline polymers in the gel state; morphological and physical property modifications of semicrystalline ionomers; control of morphology-transport property relationships in PEM fuel cell systems via tailored processing procedures and controlled molecular/supramolecular architecture; characterization and control of actuation behavior in nanostructured ionic polymer metal composite (IPMC) artificial muscles; small-angle x-ray and neutron scattering methods for the characterization of morphology and dynamics in nanostructured materials; and polymer-based nanocomposites for improved chemical and physical properties; twin-screw extrusion of compatibilized polymer blends; reactive extrusion.
- Canterbury, T.R.; Arachchige, S.M.; Brewer, K.J.; Moore, R.B. “A New Hydrophilic Supramolecular Photocatalyst for the Production of H2 in Aerobic Aqueous Solutions,” Chem. Comm., 2016, 52, 8663-8666.
- Zhang, K.; Talley, S.J.; Yu, Y.P.; Moore, R.B.; Murayama, M.; Long, T.E. “Influence of nucleobase stoichiometry on the self-assembly of ABC triblock copolymers,” Chem. Comm., 2016, 52, 7564-7567.
- Margaretta, E.; Fahs, G.B.; Inglefield, D.L.; Jangu, C.; Wang, D.; Heflin, J.R.; Moore, R.B.; Long, T.L. “Imidazolium-Containing ABA Triblock Copolymers as Electroactive Devices,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2016, 8, 1280-1288.
- May, J.; Ellis, M.W.; Dillard, D.A.; Case, S.W.; Moore, R.B.; Li, Y.; Lai, Y.-H.; Gittleman, C. “Development and Validation of a Uniaxial Non-Linear Viscoelastic Viscoplastic Stress Model for a Fuel Cell Membrane,” J. Fuel Cell Sci. & Technol., 2015, 12, 061011-1 – 061011-10.
- Canterbury, T.R.; Arachchige, S.M.; Moore, R.B.; Brewer, K.J. “Increased Water reduction Efficiency of Polyelectrolyte-Bound Trimetallic [Ru,Rh,Ru] Photocatalysts in Air-Saturated Aqueous Solutions,” Angewandte Chemie, 2015, 54, 12819-12822.
- Naughton, E.M.; Zhang, M.; Troya, D.; Brewer, K.J.; Moore, R.B. “Size Dependent Exchange of Large Mixed Metal Complexes into Nafion Membranes,” Polym. Chem., 2015, 6, 6870-6879.
- Chang, Z.M.; Fahs, G.B.; Zhang, B,; Edling, H.E.; Orler, E,B.; Moore, R.B.; Turner, S.R. “New Semicrystalline block copolymers of poly(Arylene Ether Sulfone)s and poly(1,4-cyclohexylene terephthalate),” Polymer, 2015, 74, 86-93.
- Forbey, S.J.; Divoux, G.M.; Moore, K.E.; Moore, R.B. “Cross-Linked Electrospun Poly(Ethylene Oxide) Fiber Mats as Structured Polymer-Gel Electrolytes,” ECS Transactions, 2015, 66, 1-15.
- Kidd, B.E.; Forbey, S.J.; Steuber, F.W.; Moore, R.B.; Madsen, L.A. “Multiscale Lithium and Counterion Transport in Electrospun Polymer-Gel Electrolyte,” Macromolecules, 2015, 48, 4481-4490.
- Park, J.K.; Li, J.; Divoux, G.M.; Madsen, L.A.; Moore, R.B. “Oriented Morphology and Anisotropic Transport in Uniaxially Stretched Perfluorosulfonate Ionomer Membranes,” Macromolecules 2011, 44, 5701-5710.
- Li, J.; Park, J.K.; Moore, R.B.; Madsen, L.A. “Linear Coupling of Alignment with Transport in a Polymer Electrolyte Membrane,” Nature Materials 2011, 10, 507-511.
- Hou, J.; Ellis, M.W.; Moore, R.B. Electrochemical Detection of Sodium Borohydride in Alkaline Media by Gold Electrode, Electrochem. Solid-State Lett. 2012, 15, B39-B43.
- Elliott, J.A.; Wu, D.; Paddison, S.J.; Moore, R.B. “A Unified Morphological Description of Nafion Membranes from SAXS and Mesoscale Simulations,” Soft Matter 2011, 7, 6820-6827.
- Park, J.K.; Jones, P.J.; Sahagun, C.; Page, K.A.; Hussey, D.S.; Jacobson, D.L.; Morgan, S.E.; Moore, R.B. “Electrically-Stimulated Gradients in Water and Counterion Concentrations within Electroactive Polymer Actuators,” Soft Matter 2010, 6, 1444-1452.
- Page, K.A.; Cable K.M.; Moore, R.B. “Molecular Origins of the Thermal Transitions and Dynamic Mechanical Relaxations in Perfluorosulfonate Ionomers,” Macromolecules 2005, 38, 6472.
- Mauritz, K.A.; Moore, R.B. “State of Understanding of Nafion,” Chemical Reviews 2004, 104(10), 4535.
- Fellow of the American Chemical Society, 2013
- Distinguished Service Award, American Chemical Society, Division of Polymer Chemistry, 2012
- Fellow of the Polymer Chemistry Division of the American Chemical Society, 2011
- Chair of the Polymer Chemistry Division of the American Chemical Society, (Vice-Chair: 2009; Chair-Elect: 2010; Chair: 2011)
- Editorial Advisory Board for the Journal of Macromolecular Science; Pure and Applied Chemistry, 2008-present
- Distinguished Service Award, ACS Polymer Division, 2006
- Trophy Award for Best Paper, 2004 MRS Fall Meeting, Boston, MA, 2004
- Treasurer of the Polymer Chemistry Division of the American Chemical Society, 2003-2005
- Chair, 2005 Gordon Research Conference on Ion-Containing Polymers, May 1-6, 2005, Il Ciocco, Barga, Italy
- Program Co-Chair, 7th International Symposium on Polymers for Advanced Technologies, PAT, 2003
- Distinguished Service Award, American Chemical Society, Division of Polymer Chemistry, 2001
- Associate Editor of Polymer Preprints, American Chemical Society, Division of Polymer Chemistry, 1995-2000
- Elected Member of the Board of Directors, Engineering Properties and Structure Division of the Society of Plastics Engineers, 2000-2004
- ASEE-Navy Senior Summer Faculty Fellow, China Lake Naval Air Warfare Center, China Lake, CA, 1999
- B.S. Chemistry Angelo State University, 1983
- Ph.D. Texas A&M University, Analytical Chemistry, 1988
- Postdoctoral Fellow with Prof. Adi Eisenberg, McGill University, Polymer Physical Chemistry, 1989–1990
- Adjunct Professor of Polymer Science and Engineering, University of Southern Mississippi, 2007–present
- Associate Director for Research and Scholarship, Institute for Critical Technology and Applied Science (ICTAS), Virginia Tech, 2010–2015
- Affiliate Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Virginia Tech, 2010–present
- Director, Macromolecular Science & Engineering Graduate Degree Program (MACR), Virginia Tech, 2015–present