Virginia Tech®home

Qualifying for CHEM 1035

At Virginia Tech, we are committed to our students' academic success. We place special emphasis on the success of incoming students in CHEM 1035 (General Chemistry), so that they get off to a good, positive start in their college career. 

If you are an incoming student and want to take CHEM 1035 your first semester at Virginia Tech, you must

  • earn a score of 51% or better on the CHEM 1035 Placement Assessment, or
  • earn a score of 70% or better on the MATH 1225 Placement Assessment, or
  • have an AP Chemistry score of 4+ or an IB Chemistry score of 5+ (Higher Level), or
  • have an AP Calculus AB score of 4 or 5 or an AP Calculus BC score of 3, 4, or 5 or an IB Higher Level Mathematics score of 5, 6, or 7, or
  • have credit for CHEM 1014, MATH 1014, MATH 1025, MATH 1984, MATH 1536, or MATH 1225.

IMPORTANT: Your AP or IB score must be reported to Virginia Tech and appear on your VT academic record in Hokie Spa.

Unless you have meet one of the requirements listed above, you may not enroll in CHEM 1035 this semester and you will be removed from CHEM 1035 and the corresponding CHEM 1045 lab.

  • Take a CHEM 1035 Placement Assessment to determine your eligibility to enroll in CHEM 1035.
  • Take a MATH 1225 Placement Assessment if required by your major. We suggest that you attempt this assessment first; if you achieve the minimum score of 70, then you will also become eligible to enroll in CHEM 1035. If you do not achieve the minimum score on the MATH 1225 Placement Assessment, then you can attempt the CHEM 1035 Placement Assessment.