Fast GC, Fast LC, and Ultratrace analysis of organic compounds in air, soil, water, and food. Developing novel tracer gases for potential explosive conditions in underground mines.
During his time at Virginia Tech (1968-2002), Dr. McNair published 8 books, 150 technical papers, and supervised 65 graduate theses. He also served as Department Head from 1990-1993.
- Xu, G., Jonh, E. C., Luxbacher, K. D., and McNair, H. M. (2016). Effective utilization of tracer gas in characterization of underground mine ventilation networks. Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 99, 1-10. doi: 10.1016/j.psep.2015.10.001.
- Jong, E. C., Peng, Y., Bradley, W. T., Luxbacher, K. D., Agioutantis, Z., and McNair, H. M. (2015). Development of a perfluoromethylcyclohexane (PMCH) permation plug release vessel (PPRV_ for tracer gas studies in underground mines. Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 95, 136-145. doi: 10.1016/j.psep.2015.02.012
- Underwood, S. W., Jong, E. C., Luxbacher, K. D., Sarver, E. A., Ripepi, N. S., and McNair, H. M. (2015). Solid phase microextraction (SPME) sampling under turbulent conditions and for the simultaneous collecting of tracer gases. International Journal of Mining Science and Technology, 25, 559-563. doi: 10.1016/j.ijmst.2015.05.007
- Jong, E. C., Macek, P. V., Perera, I. E., Luxbacher, K.D., and McNair, H. M. (2015). Ultra-Trace Analysis Technique for SF6 Using Gas Chromatography with Negative Ion Chemical Ionization Mass Spectrometry. Journal of Chromatographic Science, 53(6), 854-859. doi:10.1093/chromsci/bmu154.
- Patterson, R., Jackson, K. Luxbacher, K. D., McNair, H., and Boggess, R. (2011). Comparing tracer has sampling methods in underground mines using solid-phase microextraction (SPME) fibers. Mining Engineering, 63(6), 109-119. ISS?N: 0026-5187.
- Book: "Gas Chromatography" in "Analytical Methods for Good Laboratory Practice" J. Wiley, NYC, 2000.
- Book: "Basic Gas Chromatography," J. Wiley, New York, 1964, 1997, 2009.
- G.L. Reed, H. McNair, "Fast Gas Chromatography: The Effect of Fast Temperature Programming," J. Microcolumn Separations, 2000, 12(6), 351-355.
- American Chemical Society Fellow, 2017
- ACS Award in Chromatography, 2016
- Lifetime Achievement Award in Chromatography, LC/GC magazine, 2009
- Outstanding Alumni Award, Department of Chemitry, University of Arizona, 2008
- EAS Award in Analytical Chemistry, 2004
- Horvath Medal, Connecticut Separation Science Council, 2003
- Dal Nogare Award, Pittsburgh Convereche Contributions to Separation Science, 2001
- Award in Chromatography, Chicago Chrom, Discussion Group, 1997
- Tswett Medal in Chromatography, Russian Academy of Sciences, 1993
- K.P. Dimick Award in Chromatography, Pittcon, 1991
- Eastern Analytical Award in Chromatography, 1989
- B.S. Chemistry (Magna Cum Laude), University of Arizona, 1955
- M.S. Analytical Chemistry, Purdue University, 1957
- Published first Ph.D. thesis on gas chromatography in the United States, 1959
- Ph.D. Analytical Chemistry, Purdue University, 1959
- Fulbright Postdoctoral Fellow, Eindhoven Technical University, The Netherlands, 1960