Analytical Chemistry and Chemical Education
Gary L. Long is an Associate Professor in the Department of Chemistry at Virginia Tech. He was an Associate Dean in the College of Science from 2012 to 2018.
His research programs involve and chemical education and analytical (environmental) chemistry. Chemical education projects have included:
- chemistry outreach to secondary schools with the Virginia Tech Mobile Chemistry Laboratory (MCL)
- technology in the undergraduate chemistry classroom and undergraduate analytical chemistry laboratories
- the development of mathematic tutorials for General Chemistry
He is currently involved in the lectures and laboratories of the Integrated Science Curriculum (ISC). This offering is a 30-credit program of lectures and labs where Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics are woven together in a two-year offering.
Environmental projects have included:
- evaluation of extraction technologies for the determination of heavy metals in contaminated sediments
- selective ion traps for metal ions in contaminated groundwater.
Long and his group have also studied the mobility of heavy metals in aquifers via chemisorption to colloidal Fe(OH)3.
- Gary L. Long, Carol A, Bailey, Barbara B. Bunn, Carla Slebodnick, Michael R. Johnson, Shad Derozier, Susanne Dana, and Julie Grady, "Chemistry Outreach Project to High Schools using a Mobile Chemistry Laboratory and ChemKits", J. Chem. Ed. 2012, 89, 1249-1258. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ed200185e
- J. Zhang, C. Shu, J. Reid, L.S. Owens, T. Cai, H.W. Gibson, G.L. Long, F.D. Corwin, Z. Chen, P.P. Fatouros, H.C. Dorn. "High Relaxivity Trimetallic Nitride (Gd3N) Metallofullerene MRI Contrast Agents with Optimized Functionality," Bioconjugate Chemistry, 2010, 21, 610-615.
- G. L. Long and S. D. Long, Math Review Toolkit for General Chemistry, Principles and Application 10th ed. (R. Petrucci, F. G Herring, J. D Madura, C. Bissonette), Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 2010, 135 pp.
- Sally Bohland Excellence in Access and Inclusion Award, Virginia Tech, 2018
- Academy of Faculty Service, 2014
- William Preston Society (Board of Visitor Representative), Virginia Tech, 2012
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Award, Virginia Tech, 2011
- Alan F. Clifford Faculty Service Award, Department of Chemistry, Virginia Tech, 2011
- Excellence in Access and Inclusion Award, Virginia Tech, 2011
- William E. Wine Award for Excellence in Teaching, Virginia Tech, 2005
- Academy of Teaching Excellence, Virginia Tech, 2005
- Alumni Award for Excellence in Team Outreach, Virginia Tech, 2004
- Academy of Outreach Excellence, Virginia Tech, 2004
- Cultural Diversity Award, College of Arts and Science, Virginia Tech, 1999
- Certificates of Teaching Excellence, Virginia Tech, 1995-96 and 1998-99
- Phi Beta Delta (Honor Society for International Scholars), Virginia Tech, 1997
- Fulbright Research Scholar, The Weizmann Institute of Science, CIES, 1990-1991
- Phi Lambda Upsilon (Chemistry Honor Society), North Carolina State University, 1980
- B.S. Wake Forest University, 1978
- Ph.D. North Carolina State University, 1982
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Florida, 1982–1983
- Fulbright Research Scholar, The Weizmann Institute of Science, 1990–1991