Analytical Chemistry and Chemical Education
My current research focus is science education. Current projects are the Integrated Science Curriculum.
My work in environmental analytical chemistry has been centered on the development of new methods to measure heavy metal contaminants in sediments and groundwater.
- Gary L. Long, Carol A, Bailey, Barbara B. Bunn, Carla Slebodnick, Michael R. Johnson, Shad Derozier, Susanne Dana, and Julie Grady, "Chemistry Outreach Project to High Schools using a Mobile Chemistry Laboratory and ChemKits", J. Chem. Ed. 2012, 89, 1249-1258. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ed200185e
- J. Zhang, C. Shu, J. Reid, L.S. Owens, T. Cai, H.W. Gibson, G.L. Long, F.D. Corwin, Z. Chen, P.P. Fatouros, H.C. Dorn. "High Relaxivity Trimetallic Nitride (Gd3N) Metallofullerene MRI Contrast Agents with Optimized Functionality," Bioconjugate Chemistry, 2010, 21, 610-615.
- G. L. Long and S. D. Long, Math Review Toolkit for General Chemistry, Principles and Application 10th ed. (R. Petrucci, F. G Herring, J. D Madura, C. Bissonette), Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 2010, 135 pp.
- Phi Beta Delta
- Phi Lambda Upsilon
- Sigma Xi
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Award, Virginia Tech, 2011
- Alan F. Clifford Faculty Service Award, Dept. of Chemistry, Virginia Tech, 2011
- Excellence in Access and Inclusion Award, Virginia Tech, 2011
- President, Faculty Senate 2009-2010
- Faculty Representative to the Board of Visitors, 2009-2010
- Academy of Faculty Service, 2008
- W. E. Wine Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2005, Virginia Tech
- Academy of Teaching Excellence, 2005
- Alumni Award for Excellence in Team Outreach, Virginia Tech, 2004
- Academy of Outreach Excellence, 2004
- Cultural Diversity Award, College of Arts and Science, Virginia Tech, 1999
- Certificates of Teaching Excellence, Virginia Tech, 1995-96 and 1998-99
- B.S. Wake Forest University, 1978
- Ph.D. North Carolina State University, 1982
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Florida, 1982–1983
- Fulbright Research Scholar, The Weizmann Institute of Science, 1990–1991