Dr. Riffle currently mentors a research group comprised of 12 Ph.D. students and 2 undergraduates. Of these, 9 are women and 4 are underrepresented minority students. Their focus is on the synthesis of functionalized homopolymers and block copolymers and their activity in metal complexation and particle formation; and in understanding structure-property relationships in thermoset copolymer networks.
- S. Das, J. D. Goff, S. Williams, D. Salas-de la Cruz, J. S. Riffle, T. E. Long, K. I. Winey and G. L. Wilkes, Synthesis and Characterization of Novel Segmented Polyionenes Based on Polydimethylsiloxane Soft Segments, Journal of Macromolecular Science, 47(3), 215- 224 (2010).
- A. Ranjan, N. Pothayee, M. Seleem, N. Jain, N. Sriranganathan, J. S. Riffle and R. Kasimanickam, Drug delivery using novel nanoplexes against a Salmonella mouse infection model, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 12, 905-914 (2010).
- Beth L. Caba, Qian Zhang, Matthew R. J. Carroll, Robert C. Woodward, Timothy G. St. Pierre, Elliot P. Gilbert, J. S. Riffle and Richey M. Davis, Nanostructure of PEO- polyurethane-PEO triblock copolymer micelles in water, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 344(1), 81-89 (2010).
- W. C. Miles, J. D. Goff, P. P. Huffstetler, O. T. Mefford, J. S. Riffle, R. M. Davis, The Design of Well-defined PDMS-Magnetite Complexes, Polymer, 51, 482-491 (2010).
- A. Ranjan, N. Pothayee, M. N. Seleem, R. D. Tyler, Jr., B. Brenseke, N. Sriranganathan, J. S. Riffle, R. Kasimanickam, Antibacterial efficacy of core-shell nanostructures encapsulating gentamicin against an in vivo intracellular Salmonella model, International Journal of Nanomedicine, 4, 289-297 (2009).
- W. C. Miles, J. D. Goff, P. P. Huffstetler, C. M. Reinholz, N. Pothayee, B. L. Caba, J. S. Boyd, R. M. Davis and J. S. Riffle, Synthesis and Colloidal Properties of Polyether- Magnetite Complexes in Water and Phosphate Buffered Saline, Langmuir,25(2), 803-813 (2009).
- M. Seleem, N. Jain, N. Pothayee, A. Ranjan, J. S. Riffle and N. Sriranganathan, Targeting Brucella melitensis with polymeric nanoparticles containing streptomycin and doxycycline, FEMS Microbiology Letters, 294(1), 24-31 (2009).
- A. Ranjan, N. Pothayee, M. N. Seleem, N. Sriranganathan, R. Kasimanickam, M. Makris, J. S. Riffle, In-vitro trafficking and efficacy of core-shell nanostructures for treating intracellular Salmonella Infections, Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy,53(9), 3985- 3988 (2009).
- U. O. HÃ¤feli, J. S. Riffle, L. Harris, A. Carmichael-Baranauskas, F. Mark, J. P. Dailey, D. Bardenstein, Cell Uptake and In Vitro Toxicity of Magnetic Nanoparticles Suitable for Drug Delivery, Molecular Pharmaceutics, 6(5), 1417-1428 (2009).
- J. D. Goff, P. P. Huffstetler, W. C. Miles, N. Pothayee, C. M. Reinholz, S. Ball, R. M. Davis, J. S. Riffle, Novel Phosphonate-functional Poly(ethylene oxide)-Magnetite Nanoparticles form Stable Colloidal Dispersions in Phosphate Buffered Saline, Chemistry of Materials, 21, 4784-4795 (2009).
- NSF Division of Materials Research Creativity Award, NSF, 2007
- Schug Award for Research Excellence, Department of Chemistry 2009
- Fellow of the Polymeric Materials Division of the ACS, 2009
- Fellow of the American Chemical Society, 2010
- Virginia Tech College of Science Diversity Award, 2010
- B.S. Textiles, Virginia Tech, 1973
- Ph.D. Chemistry, Virginia Tech, 1981
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Chemistry, Virginia Tech, 1981–1982
- Research Scientist, Union Carbide Corp., 1982-1983
- Manager, Materials Division, Thoratec Laboratories, 1983-1985
- V.P., Research and Development, Thoratec Laboratories, 1985-1987
- Research Scientist and Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, Virginia Tech, 1987-1988
- Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Virginia Tech, 1988 - 1994
- Associate Professor of Chemistry, Virginia Tech, 1994 - 2000
- Professor of Chemistry, Virginia Tech, 2000 - present
- Director, Macromolecular Science and Engineering Education, Virginia Tech, 2000 - present