There is a strong demand for new semiconductors and technologies toward clean energy harvesting and energy efficient devices, as well as high impact opportunities for quantum material discoveries for applications in information science. Discovery and development of new quantum materials will be key to drive future computation, information storage, sensor devices, and other energy related technologies.
The Quan research group aims to new hybrid semiconductor synthesis and processing that can provide another platform to revolutionize the solid-state chemistry to realize materials ideally suited for quantum information science and energy related technology. We are also interested in time-resolved optical study and dynamic control of structural changes in quantum materials as a function of energy, space, and time.
We will focus on 1) preparation and investigation of well-defined, high-quality semiconducting nanomaterials and the synthesis and modification of quantum materials that have effectively controllable crystal symmetry, defects, and heterogeneities at the nanoscale, 2) unraveling time-resolved dynamics in light-induced electronic response of quantum materials at ultrafast time scale. This is an exciting new frontier that combines advanced imaging and dynamics techniques to address fundamental questions regarding structural and excited state dynamics in new emerging materials. These research projects will provide participating students with broad interdisciplinary training across chemistry, materials science and physics.
- L. N. Quan, D. Ma, Y. B. Zhao, O. Voznyy, H. Yuan, E. Bladt, J. Pan, F. P. G. Arquer, R. Sabatini, Z. Piontkowski, A. Emwas, P. Todorovic, R. Q. Bermudez, G. Walters, J. Z. Fan, Y. Li, D. H. Anjum, N. Wei, D. W. McCamant, M. B. J. Roeffaers, S. Bals, J. Hofkens, O. M. Bakr, Z. Lu, E. H. Sargent, “Edge Stabilization in Reduced-Dimensional Perovskites”, Nat. Commun. 2020, 11, 1,1
- L. Gao*, L. N. Quan*, F. P. G. Arquer, Y. Zhao, R. Munir, A. Proppe, R. Bermudez, C. Zou, Z. Yang, M. I. Saidaminov, O. Voznyy, S. Kinge, Z. Lu, S. O. Kelley, A. Amassian, J. Tang, E. H. Sargent, “Quantum-Dot-in-Layered-Perovskite Enable Efficient Infrared Light-Emitting Diodes”, Nat. Photon. 2020, 14, 227-233.
- L. N. Quan, J. Kang, C. Ning, P. D. Yang, “Nanowires for Photonics”, Chem. Rev. 2019, 119, 9153.
- L. N. Quan, B. P. Rand, R. H. Friend, S. G. Mhaisalkar, T. W. Lee, E. H. Sargent, “Next-generation Perovskite Optical Sources”, Chem. Rev. 2019, 119, 7444.
- L. N. Quan, F. P. G. Arquer, R. Sabatini, E. H. Sargent “Perovskites for Light Emission”, Adv. Mater. 2018, 1801996.
- L. N. Quan*, Y. Zhao, F. P. G. Arquer, R. Sabatini, G. Walters, O. Voznyy, R. Comin, Y. Li, J. Fan, M. Yuan, Z. Lu, D. H. Kim, E. H. Sargent, “Tailoring the Energy Landscape in Quasi-2D Halide Perovskites Enables Efficient Green-Light Emission”, Nano Lett. 2017, 17(6), 3701.
- L. N. Quan, R. Q. Bermudez, O. Voznyy, G. Walters, A. Jain, J. Fan, X. Zheng, Z. Yang, E. H. Sargent, “Highly Emissive Green Perovskite Nanocrystals in a Solid State Crystalline Matrix”, Adv. Mater. 2017, 29, 1605945.
- M. Yuan*, L. N. Quan*, R. Comin, G. Walter, R. Sabatini, O. Voznyy, E. M. Beauregard, S. Hoogland, D. H. Kim, E. H. Sargent, “Perovskite Quantum Funnel for Efficient Light Emitting Diode”, Nat. Nanotechnol. 2016, 11, 872-877.
- L. N. Quan, M. Yuan, R. Comin, O. Voznyy, E. M. Beauregard, S. Hoogland, A. R. Kirmani, K. Zhao, A. Amassian, D. H. Kim, E. H. Sargent, “Ligand-Stabilized Reduced-Dimensionality Perovskites”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138 (8), 2649-2655.
- J. Pan*, L. N. Quan*, Y. Zhao*, W. Peng, B. Murali, S. P. Sarmah, M. Yuan, L. Sinatra, N. Alyami, J. Liu, E. Yassitepe, Z. Yang, O. Voznyy, R. Comin, M. N. Hedhili, O. F. Mohammed, Z. Lu, D. H. Kim, E. H. Sargent and O. M. Bakr, “Highly Efficient Perovskite Quantum-dot Light Emitting Diodes by Surface Engineering”, Adv. Mater. 2016, 28, 8718-8725.
- Highly Cited Researcher (Web of Science), 2019
- Materials Research Society (MRS) Graduate Student Award, 2016
- Ph.D. Chemistry, Ewha Womans University, Korea, 2016
- Graduate Researcher, University of Toronto, Canada 2014-2016
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Toronto, Canada 2016-2017
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California, Berkeley 2018-2020